Austin, Featured, Film, Music, Pop Culture

The Ultimate List of Celebrities Who Live In Or Frequent Austin

55 Comments 10 October 2012

A few days back, the Facebooks was a’flitter with news that Nicolas Cage was chowing down at East Austin’s french bistro Justine’s Brasserie. I contemplated heading down there to get a glimpse of the Dazzling One, but figured I would look as creepy as his hairline by doing so. In fact, there was a small part of that was afraid he’d go all Bad Lieutenant 2-style on me if I said hello.

I still haven’t figured out why Nic Cage was in Austin or if he is even still here, hiding behind a dumpster and shouting unintelligible words at homeless people for fun. Theory is he’s in the new Terrence Malick film shooting here (that is every Austinite’s answer for when they spot a celebrity), but I can’t imagine Malick casting someone like Cage for his highly intellectualized dramas. Cage is way too good of an actor for that stuff.

The Cage spotting got me thinking about all the celebrities that live in Austin or enjoy frequenting Austin. There are a slew of them. Some are from the great state of Texas or went to UT or shot a movie here and have always had a fondness for the capital city. Other celebs, like us regular folk, caught wind it was the next hip city and decided to set up digs here.

Below is a list of celebs you will often see milling about the ATX. Let me know who I’m leaving out!

billybob The Ultimate List of Celebrities Who Live In Or Frequent Austin pop culture music film featured austin  Wilson Brothers Willie Nelson Terrence Malick untitle Austin project Terrence Malick Sandra Bullock Ryan Gosling in Austin Ryan Gosling Austin sighting Ryan Gosling Robert Rodriguez Robert Plant Richard Linklater Owen Wilson Mike Jude Matthew McConaughey Luke Wilson Lance Armstrong Kanye condo Friday Night Lights featured famous people who live in Texas famous people who live in Austin famous people who hang out in Austin Elijah Wood Drew Barrymore Dennis Quaid Daniel Johnston Dan Rather Christian Bale celebs who party in Austin celebs who hang out in Austin celebrities who live in Texas celebrities who live in Austin Brooklyn Decker Billy Bob Thornton Bill Murray Austin film productions Austin film Andy Roddick

Several celebrities own houses here including Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant (rumor has it he likes to barter the price of cheese at Whole Foods), recent transplant and Austin lovin’ Billy Bob Thornton, UT grad Matthew McConaughey and Dennis Quaid. I can’t confirm Quaid’s current housing status for his Austin realtor wife, Kimberly Buffington, recently filed for divorce, then retracted it.

sandrabullockaustinhome The Ultimate List of Celebrities Who Live In Or Frequent Austin pop culture music film featured austin  Wilson Brothers Willie Nelson Terrence Malick untitle Austin project Terrence Malick Sandra Bullock Ryan Gosling in Austin Ryan Gosling Austin sighting Ryan Gosling Robert Rodriguez Robert Plant Richard Linklater Owen Wilson Mike Jude Matthew McConaughey Luke Wilson Lance Armstrong Kanye condo Friday Night Lights featured famous people who live in Texas famous people who live in Austin famous people who hang out in Austin Elijah Wood Drew Barrymore Dennis Quaid Daniel Johnston Dan Rather Christian Bale celebs who party in Austin celebs who hang out in Austin celebrities who live in Texas celebrities who live in Austin Brooklyn Decker Billy Bob Thornton Bill Murray Austin film productions Austin film Andy Roddick

Sandra Bullock’s 2.5 mil digs

Sandra Bullock recently put her 2.5 million Barton Creek home up for sale, maybe in part because of her not-even-worth-mentioning-his-name-ex-husband bought a home here shortly after their divorce. The actress is still part-owner in the West 6th Street eateries Bess and Walton’s.

Tennis star Andy Roddick and his model wife, Brooklyn Decker, live in a fancy-ass Lake Austin home equipped with hotel-style carpeting and questionable artwork.

Lance Armstrong proudly calls Austin home both for himself and for the Lance Armstrong Foundation (he owns other homes in Aspen and the Texas Hill Country).

Willie Nelson not only lives in the suburbs of Austin, his ponytails are featured on official Austin t-shirts at the Austin Visitor’s Center.

Hollywood filmmakers Robert Rodriguez (Machete, Spy Kids, Predator), Richard Linklater (Slacker, Dazed & Confused, Before Sunrise), Terrence Malick (Badlands, Days of Heaven, Tree of Life) and Mike Judge (Beavis and Butt-Head, Office Space) all live here and shoot a good chunk of their films in and around Austin.

Various cast members of the now defunct Austin-based Friday Night Lights still live here including Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton.

Former news anchor and Texas-born Dan Rather calls both Austin and NYC his home (his daughter, Robin, is a well known environmental activist in ATX).

jeremiahtheinnocent1 1000x727 The Ultimate List of Celebrities Who Live In Or Frequent Austin pop culture music film featured austin  Wilson Brothers Willie Nelson Terrence Malick untitle Austin project Terrence Malick Sandra Bullock Ryan Gosling in Austin Ryan Gosling Austin sighting Ryan Gosling Robert Rodriguez Robert Plant Richard Linklater Owen Wilson Mike Jude Matthew McConaughey Luke Wilson Lance Armstrong Kanye condo Friday Night Lights featured famous people who live in Texas famous people who live in Austin famous people who hang out in Austin Elijah Wood Drew Barrymore Dennis Quaid Daniel Johnston Dan Rather Christian Bale celebs who party in Austin celebs who hang out in Austin celebrities who live in Texas celebrities who live in Austin Brooklyn Decker Billy Bob Thornton Bill Murray Austin film productions Austin film Andy Roddick

Musician, artist and schizo-extraordinaire Daniel Johnston has lived in Austin for decades and his famous “Jeremiah the Innocent” mural can be seen off of Guadalupe Street near the UT campus.

As for celeb sightings, Ryan Gosling and Christian Bale have been two of the most talked and drooled about as of recently. Both are starring in Terrence Malick’s upcoming untitled film about a “love triangle set amongst the backdrop of Austin’s music scene”.

Drew Barrymore used to be a popular fixture here. Rumor is she had a bf here (Justin Long reportedly has a home here), but considering now she’s married and with child, chances are we won’t see her popping into the SoCo American Apparel as much.

The Dallas-born Wilson Brothers are common fixtures; Owen and Andrew went to UT and Luke really looooves Maudie’s (who doesn’t?)

People often report sightings of nymph-like Elijah Wood. I myself spotted him in a SoCo store and when I pointed him out to my mother, she yelled, “ELIJAH WOOD IS IN THE STORE?!” roughly five feet from his face.

billmurrayphotou7 The Ultimate List of Celebrities Who Live In Or Frequent Austin pop culture music film featured austin  Wilson Brothers Willie Nelson Terrence Malick untitle Austin project Terrence Malick Sandra Bullock Ryan Gosling in Austin Ryan Gosling Austin sighting Ryan Gosling Robert Rodriguez Robert Plant Richard Linklater Owen Wilson Mike Jude Matthew McConaughey Luke Wilson Lance Armstrong Kanye condo Friday Night Lights featured famous people who live in Texas famous people who live in Austin famous people who hang out in Austin Elijah Wood Drew Barrymore Dennis Quaid Daniel Johnston Dan Rather Christian Bale celebs who party in Austin celebs who hang out in Austin celebrities who live in Texas celebrities who live in Austin Brooklyn Decker Billy Bob Thornton Bill Murray Austin film productions Austin film Andy Roddick

Bill Murray partyin’ during SXSW

Of course there are the legendary Bill Murray stories. I’m not sure if he hangs out here any more than he does in other hip towns where he can get a lot of attention from young people, but we Austinites like to think that Murray thinks of us as special.

David Byrne, Quentin Tarantino and Jason Schwartzman also seem to show up here a few times a year.

Unconfirmed rumor: Kanye West has a condo in downtown Austin.

pixel The Ultimate List of Celebrities Who Live In Or Frequent Austin pop culture music film featured austin  Wilson Brothers Willie Nelson Terrence Malick untitle Austin project Terrence Malick Sandra Bullock Ryan Gosling in Austin Ryan Gosling Austin sighting Ryan Gosling Robert Rodriguez Robert Plant Richard Linklater Owen Wilson Mike Jude Matthew McConaughey Luke Wilson Lance Armstrong Kanye condo Friday Night Lights featured famous people who live in Texas famous people who live in Austin famous people who hang out in Austin Elijah Wood Drew Barrymore Dennis Quaid Daniel Johnston Dan Rather Christian Bale celebs who party in Austin celebs who hang out in Austin celebrities who live in Texas celebrities who live in Austin Brooklyn Decker Billy Bob Thornton Bill Murray Austin film productions Austin film Andy Roddick

Your Comments

55 Comments so far

1. Kimberly says:

I have a good friend who has bumped into Quentin Taratino on a couple of occasions. He says he is such an awesome, needy, regular guy who loves talking about crazy movie ideas :P …not that that’s particularly surprising LOL

• Caitrin says:

While I have yet to engage in much of a conversation with him, I’ve run into good old Robert Plant over at the Continental Club Gallery on occasion.
      From what I understand, he and Allison live right around the corner, in Travis Heights, (for at least part of the year)…

2. Corrin says:

CHUCK WOOLERY! If the host of Love Connection isn’t a celebrity, I don’t know who is.

3. Kimberly says:

Omg nerdy..not needy! Stupid autocorrect insulting people again!

4. Dentonista says:

HOW could you leave off Lyle Lovett? I saw him at Guero’s last year.

5. Shelley Seale says:

I’ve had several friends spot both Maggie Gyllenhal and Natalie Portman lately, and I have personally met Quinten Tarantino here in the ATX. Love the list! Although I’m troubled that you think Nicholas Cage is a good actor.

• hipstercrite says:

Natalie Portman is shooting the Malick movie too. I love Maggie Gyllenhaal. As for Cage…I adore him because he’s so bad that he’s good, terrific, AMAZING!

• Dentonista says:

You girls have to take that back, right now – Nicholas Cage is a GOD, and has been, ever since “Valley Girl.”
      Oh how he broke my teen heart.
      Siiiigh.
      “That chick Julie, she’s truly dazzling.”

6. AmandaC says:

You forgot me!

7. anonymus says:

Nic Cage is here for the new David Gordon Green movie, another famous director that calls this city home.

8. Lohmans Crossing says:

Natalie Maines of Dixie Chicks lives in Austin. One of the most hated Bachelors, Brad Womack, owns a few bars downtown, but I guess he’s not really a celeb. What about Drew Brees of the Saints? He’s a sports a celeb so he should count. Blue October is from ATX too. Austin’s a hotbed for celebs, but celebrity sightings are not as prevalent as LA or NYC.

9. Jesse says:

Saw Jesse Plemons of FNL and Breaking Bad in Wheatsville fairly recently.

10. I see Robert Plant all the time. I’m pretty sure I see a ton of others but am entirely clueless.

11. Jess says:

Since Robert Plant moved to Austin to be with Patty Griffin, it’s kind of a shame she’s not listed lol :) Musical royalty there

12. Unikkorns says:

My sister met Johnny Knoxville and the guys from Everclear at a bar during SXSW one year.

13. Nice list! Also shitloads of musicians here, but listing them would take all day!

14. Anon says:

Nic Cage was seated at a table next to me at TRIO today.

15. Gus Dark says:

Wow, lovely list, I love Nic cage too … I wish I was there, I’d love to see him in my small island of Bali ;) Brava Hipstercrite …

16. BUKU says:

Nolan Ryan
    Deb from 101x

17. glanzer says:

Meat Loaf now lives in Hill Country!

18. Submissions from a golfer/rager says:

How about PGA golfers and legends of golf such as Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw? Venezuelan Jhonattan Vegas also lives here and currently plays on the PGA tour (look him up he has a pretty awesome story about his journey). I have also personally met Fred “boom boom” Couples another legendary golfer with Masters wins at a gas station on Bee Caves road. You also have the guys from Tritonal (Dave Reed and Chad Cisneros) who are massive in the EDM scene and playing major festivals all over the world. Speaking of that, some of my buds used to see Cedric Benson at some clubs downtown. I know he is mentioned, but have also personally seen Andy Roddick at a bar on dirty 6th a few years back and talked to him briefly. Both Fred Couples and Andy Roddick were very approachable and friendly guys. Wow! I almost forgot one of the biggest names in golf ever, Jack Nicklaus was just north of here a few years back to oversee one of his new ventures, a pristine golf course close to Horseshoe Bay. Also quarterback Ben Roethlisberger played a round at Lakecliff Country Club a few years back. Of course there are many more but I really can’t believe Michael Dell was left off the list! Anyone know who he is? Haha! Oh and TMZ loved it when UFC fighter Roger Huerta (who i heard grew up wrestling at Crockett High School) got some vigilante justice downtown when a guy blindsided a girl on the street.

19. RunWay Underground says:

Yall forgot the people of colour: Earl Campbell, Hollywood Henderson, Ms. Lavelle White, Kyle Turner… Just sayin…

20. Lala says:

Johnny Depp occasionally visits soco. You forgot Johnny!

21. Kip says:

Add Backdoor Teen Mom Farrah Abraham to the list (or not).

22. Susan says:

Had to laugh at your mom yelling, “ELIJAH WOOD IS IN THE STORE?!” because we had a similar oopsie with Sandra Bullock a few years ago. We were in Waterloo records and I saw her and her then boyfriend, musician Bob Schneider. We were in the large room on the right, and there were only a couple of other people there. I walked up to my husband and whispered, “To the right is Sandra Bullock.”

He replied, in that loud, booming voice that he has, “WHO’S TO THE RIGHT OF SANDRA BULLOCK?!” He thought I was making some sort of political statement, and I just avoided eye contact with her and slunk off to make my purchases in the other room.

23. kristina says:

A friend saw drew berrymore last night at Barbarellos.

24. kristina says:

And Justin long definitely has a place near. A friend of ours is a model/artist who’s friends with him. He threw her a bday party about a month ago

25. HAPPY says:

DOES TOMMY LEE JONES STILL THERE? I KNOW HE USED TO.

26. Girly1 says:

Kim kardashian

27. Karen says:

Ian McLagen, folks!

28. Amelia says:

Celebrity Liam Stone and his wife was at Bouldin Creek Cafe today. i waited on him.. They said they bought a house there this week..

29. Crystal says:

I don’t know if someone mentioned it already but Taylor Kitsch from FNL lives in Austin too.

30. simon delaplaya says:

you forgot LouLou from Thievery Corp…

just sayin’…

31. Andrea Force says:

I assume the cast of the NBC series, Revolution, are living in or around Austin … at least temporarily. Not when the post was written back in 2012, but since production moved here.

32. Tom says:

I have heard that Aggie Yell Leader Rick Perry has lived in Austin for many years. Also Nobel Prize winner Steven Weinberg. Also acclaimed classical pianist Anton Nel. Also international counter-terrorism expert Fred Burton of Stratfor. Also historian and author H.W. Brands.

33. Leluxe says:

Ethan Green Hawke is a frequent SoCo shopper,he was born in 1970 in To UT students.. :)

Share your view